The Invisible Hour : a novel / Alice Hoffman.
Ivy Jacob's ever-disappointed mother and stern father react badly to news of her teen pregnancy, prompting her to run away from her tony Boston home for Western Massachusetts, where she's embraced by a group called The Community. There, she gives birth to her daughter, Mia, and marries the group's charismatic but controlling leader, Joel, when Mia is three months old. The Community's rules are draconian--members are branded with letters corresponding to their alleged crimes--and eventually the abuse weighs on Ivy's conscience. At 16, Mia secretly takes out books from a nearby library (education and reading are forbidden after members turn 15), and she tries to convince her mother to join her in an escape.
- ISBN: 9781797154794
- ISBN: 1797154796
- Physical Description: 7 audio discs (7 hr., 45 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Edition: Unabridged.
- Publisher: New York, NY : Simon & Schuster Audio, 2023.
|Participant or Performer Note:||
Read by Jessie Mueller.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864. Scarlet letter > Fiction.
Hawthorne, Nathaniel, 1804-1864 > Fiction.
Cults > Fiction.
Books and reading > Fiction.
Time travel > Fiction.
Man-woman relationships > Fiction.
Massachusetts > Fiction.
- 0 of 2 copies available at Lehigh Valley Library System. (Show)
- 0 of 1 copy available at Bethlehem Area Public Library System.
- 0 current holds with 2 total copies.